A cob loaf is a quick and easy white loaf that is good to start your bread-making journey with.
When I used to stay at my uncles’s smallholding in Llangain in Carmarthenshire we would take the bus or scrounge a lift into Carmarthen on market day and buy a cob loaf from one of the bakers. Then we would get a pound of strong cheddar cheese from one of the stalls, a few onions and a jar of gherkins. That would be our tea sorted out for a couple of days.
Anyway, if you get around to trying this recipe, try eating it with a good slice of Cheddar cheese and an equally thick slice of tears-to-your-eyes onion, and a couple of gherkins on the side.
Here is the recipe for the bread: –
- Strong white bread flour – 500g
- 10g salt dissolved in 300ml of water
- 10g Allinson’s Easy Bake Yeast
- 30g butter
- Mix the dry yeast into the flour
- Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the flour
- Add the salted water to the flour
- Work the ingredients into a dough and knead to perfection
- Leave to rise (prove) for an hour or two at room temperature until doubled in size
- Knock back
- Shape into a ball and add a little flour across the top
- Cut a cross on top of the loaf with a sharp knife (I find an old bread knife works best) about a centimetre deep
- Second proving
- Cook at 220 for 35 – 40 minutes
- Cool on a wire rack
- Enjoy with a good Cheddar cheese, a slice or two of onion, salted butter, gherkins and maybe a bit of Branston pickle
Alternatively, you can use the loaf as the basis for a dip – here are some links to various recipes for dips based on this idea – I have not tried any yet, but am very tempted, especially by the mention of the crab dip… an excuse for another trip to Portland Bill…
- Broad Bean Salad, and Crab Dip in a Cobb Loaf | jan and russ … – Broad Bean Salad, and Crab Dip in a Cobb Loaf. 1 Reply. Broad Bean Salad. Last week, we had a busy time catching up with family and friends, entertaining grandsons and (shock, horror!!!) a couple of shifts of work for me.
- Cobb loaf – AKA Spinach Dip | Spice Diary – Cobb Loaf or Spinach Dip Ingredients: 1 large cob loaf 2 x 250g packets of frozen spinach 30g packet of French onion soup 1 cup mayonnaise 1 cup light sour cream 4 spring onions 1 x 190g can water chestnuts, sliced …
- Cheesy Bacon Dip in a Cobb Loaf – Best Recipes – Method. STEP 1 Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight. STEP 2 Place cobb loaf on a large baking tray and slice top off. Set aside. STEP 3 Scoop out bread into bite sized pieces and spread across tray. Spray lightly …